This article, part 2 of 2, explores the benefits and advantages of dental implants over removable dentures as a traditional tooth replacement solution.
In the previous article post by experienced Colorado Springs dentists, Dr. Rogers and Dr. Bull, we explored the many challenges and repeated expenses associated with that archaic teeth replacement technology; removable dentures. In this article, the second installment of a two-part series, we shall go on to discuss a far superior alternative to ‘false teeth’, namely dental implants.
What are Dental Implants?
Dental implants are tiny fixtures or screws made from the exceptionally hard, yet lightweight metal titanium. In addition to these attributes, titanium is the only element on the periodic table that is capable of forming a strong biological bond with bone tissue, making this metal responsible for the conception of the entire field of dental implantology! This fixture is carefully inserted by Colorado Springs dentists into the jaw bone at the site or sites of the missing tooth or teeth. They then attach an abutment or ‘collar’, which is used to permanently hold in place an artificial tooth crown constructed from a high quality and very durable ceramic material. The results are a tooth replacement that is virtually indistinguishable - in function, feel and aesthetics - from the rest of your natural healthy teeth!
The Benefits of Dental Implants Over Removable Dentures
Dental implants offer a much better tooth replacement solution to patients, whether they are missing only one tooth or all of their original adult teeth, say Colorado Springs dentists. And this is for many reasons:
- Dental implants actually form a bond with the underlying bone tissue, so they mimic the function of the tooth root as well as the crown. This not only enables dental implants to feel just like natural teeth, but it also preserves the health of the jaw; preventing atrophy from causing the bone tissue to waste away.
- Unlike dentures, dental implants are non-removable, so there isn’t a risk of them slipping or falling out. Moreover, they are cleaned just like your natural teeth; with regular brushing and flossing!
- If placed by qualified and experienced Colorado Springs dentists, such as Dr. Rogers and Dr. Bull, dental implants are virtually indistinguishable from natural teeth. By promoting the health of the jaw bone, they also preserve a patient’s natural and youthful facial contours in the long term.
- Dental implants replace the entire missing tooth, from the root to the crown, enabling them to function just like your original teeth. By allowing a strong bite force, say Colorado Springs dentists, they allow patients to eat all the foods they love without exception!
- Dental implants transmit all the forces associated with eating directly to the jaw bone, unlike dentures which rely upon the gums for support. Consequently, dental implants do not cause any pain, irritation, discomfort or self-consciousness.
- Dental implants have a lifespan of decades and very seldom require further restoration once successfully placed, say Colorado Springs dentists. This means that patients are only required to make a one-time investment, as opposed to removable dentures, which necessitate constant expenditure on bridgework and costly products such as adhesives, anesthetic gels, cleaning agents, etc.
A Final Note on Dental Implants
If you have already lost one or more of your teeth and are facing a future of edentulism (not having any natural teeth left), time is of the essence. The longer you ignore your oral problems, the more complex and costly oral rehabilitation becomes. Skilled and experienced Colorado Springs dentists, Dr. Rogers and Dr. Bull, have worked with dental implants for decades and offer comprehensive and long term solutions. To get your beautiful and healthy smile back, don’t hesitate to Contact Us today!